Thursday, December 1, 2011

Boobies, Parenting, and 4am Bedtimes

Yes, another post about my second base issues. Mostly because I am exclusively breastfeeding Z until I go back to work. And also because I have a lot of things to say about breast feeding.

I go to a support group for breastfeeding moms. Its pretty much the best thing ever, a bunch of moms with infants, all with similar struggles with latching, milk production, milk over production, public issues, intimacy issues, and relationship struggles. It's been a nice place to just get out and take Z because I can just feed her when she's hungry, and get help from a lactation consultant. Also, I get to bond with other moms in the area, and share their stories and triumphs and issues.

Also, I bought something for me and the baby. It's called a 'brest friend' and it's this pillow/intertube/thing that I snap around my body and can put Z in the right place for feeding. Because my back hurts sometimes, and my arms are fatigued and she doesn't like to latch on right away. It's more stable than the boppy I had been using, and gives back support.

My boobs have totally hulked out now. I'm sitting at a DD. I've never been a DD. I don't know how I feel about it. They are freaking huge, and leak all over, and I accidentally sprayed my baby in the face while trying to get her to latch this morning at 4am after we went to the store because she wasn't fucking sleeping.

In fact, I didn't realize that breast feeding was such a big deal. Mostly because it was the only way to feed children for thousands and thousands of years. Until the 1950s when formula was introduced, breast feeding was passed from mother to daughter, grand mother to granddaughter, aunts and sisters all learning and teaching together. I don't understand why some women don't breastfeed. First off - it's cheap. I don't want to sound like the 99% or the just living below the poverty line person that I am, but cost effective. Second, studies all show that breast milk is the best thing for babies. It always comes out the right temperature, the right mixture, and the right amount (when baby is latched and sucking correctly).

Formula was never an option in my mind. Never. My mother breastfed me and my sister, all my cousins were breastfed, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't. Or why they wouldn't try.

Side note - had the strangest conversation with my aunt-in-baby (kind of like an aunt-in-law, only the BF and I aren't married, you get the jist) asked if we were going to change Z's diaper every time she peed. Because apparently, we "are going to go through a lot of diapers really quickly."

Um, of course we are. Dry diaper = happy baby. Dry diaper = no diaper rash, no infection.

You don't change a diaper on someone you work for (ie any of my consumers) that's a recipient's rights violation, it's neglect.

Not changing a wet diaper for a baby is child abuse.

But the chances of me taking a lot of parenting advice from that pair is slim to none, because oh wait - she didn't breastfeed in the hospital because she'd "have to go down to the NICU every three hours," and she still smoked her entire pregnancy, and still does! I'm sorry, that kind of role modeling, no thanks. I may be a young new mom, this may be my first child, but at least I can make the right decisions when it comes to Z.

I don't smoke, I didn't my entire pregnancy. I took good care of myself, didn't gain too much weight, and I'm eating pretty ok right now (sure it will get better after the holiday season is over...).

And you know what? I'm remaining sober while I breastfeed. Why? Because it's too much damn work to plan out drinking, and I suck at remembering shit like that. Maybe I'll just adopt a sober lifestyle - probably do me some good. I'm liking sober me pretty well these days.

I can make the right decisions for my child and my family - why is it so hard for other people?

No comments:

Post a Comment