Thursday, September 20, 2012

Daring Greatly Review

Image from Amazon

Through BlogHer Book Club I was given the opportunity to read Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown. I wasn't sure what to think when the book first showed up at my apartment. I knew within the first few pages that this was a perfect book for me, because when I get upset, I shut down and refuse to let anyone in.

I loved this book, full of Harry Potter references, and easily understood. It also made me reach out and reexamine "The Ethical Slut," and some of the themes put out by those authors. I hadn't thought much about vulnerability and how it relates to everything in my life. I had been hung up on my own issues, that this book helped me examine what I needed to change in my life. To Brown, vulnerability is the way to open up all aspects of life, and a key component to the human experience.

Brown's writing is sophisticated, yet interesting. Not to dry and doesn't bog down the reader. I enjoyed the anecdotes from Brown's years of research and her own failings. I related to her struggles, and made it easier to examine my own life issues. She describes a variety of armor selections, using vulnerability rather than being vulnerable. I found that sometimes I can be one to over share with the hopes that someone will care for me. Discretion without being emotionally deadened is the key.

A while back I posted about how much I felt I was failing. I still feel that way, but I am trying the shame resilience described in Daring Greatly. I do feel like there is an impossibly high standard for being a mom, the fact that I still co-sleep and breastfeed makes me feel judged. These are the choices that are right for my daughter and me, but dealing with family saying "When are you going to quit that?" breaks me down.

Personally, I'm going to put my name and contact information in this book and hand it to my friends to encourage them to read it.

I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment