Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A Word about Heteronormative Society

I recently went to a store where there was an advertisement for 'daddy-daughter' date nights. I was excited, that means I'd only have to pay for my meal, and get two for free. Most excellent! I am a frugal person - so this seemed right up my alley.

Except when I stopped to think about what a 'daddy-daughter' date night meant. It is reminicent of heteronormative society, only going out with the opposite sex parent. Why not have a 'mommy-daughter' night? Why assume that the child has both parents to choose from?

I'm upset because I want my daughter to grow up without judgements. I don't want to have to always have a borderline electra complex for anything that my daughter wants to do with her father. I don't want her to start with 'daddy-daughter' dates that evolve into chastity balls where my daughter is nothing but a commodity for men. First for her father, then for whoever she is supposed to give herself to.

Yeah, I know I sound crazy, but it seems like a slipperly slope to me. I just want to raise a nonjudgemental liberal child.

No comments:

Post a Comment