Tuesday, May 21, 2013

MICWiC 2013

I recently had the opportunity to attend another conference, not related to blogging.

I think I want to change jobs again. Or rather I’d like a career. The job I’m at makes pretty meh money, and there is little to no challenge. I have no drive or desire because my coworkers have done such a good job at keeping the bar absurdly low. There is no drive for anything outside, even when there is an incentive. We have community events designed for employees go get involved and help the community. After working here for almost three months, I have done more events than any of my coworkers combined.

A few weeks ago I was recognized for ‘outstanding customer service.’ I used ASL for a Deaf customer. It didn’t strike me as ‘outstanding’ but when you are the only tri-lingual person at a workplace, sometimes you ‘shine.’ As the only person that seems to be a decent human being...meh.

But this is about where I want to go, what I want to do. I think it’s time to decide what I want as a career. I want to go back to school, and I think it’s something to do with technology. I was to program, I want to be a developer. I want to manage and grow in a company and I want to pioneer.

MICWiC was the first opportunity I had to really enjoy and understand success of women in the technology field. There were so many strong women with stories about overcoming gender disparagy in their field. Being a coder, being a developer, its something I can aspire to.

I connected with several people, but I'm still waiting for Z to get old enough to not need me as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment